July 21st is our eleventh wedding anniversary. We're celebrating about 13 years together as a couple. No marriage is perfect. No marriage is without trials, struggles and the need for hard work by both partners. But I have to say, mine has been one that I never imagined I'd be so lucky to have. Being married to Jeff has been an almost effortless challenge. Life may have thrown us some curve balls over the years, but Jeff never has. He's been solid, steady, true in every way.
I married my best friend and it just gets better with each year. Jeff is the spiritual leader of our family. His devotion to me and our family never ceases to amaze me. I love his sense of humor, his work ethic, his leadership in all the things he does, his faith, his strong convictions which come from his beliefs and values, and his drive to always do the right thing, even when it's hard. No one makes me laugh like he does! He's our family's financial wizard, and a good one. I tease him about being frugal, but in truth I admire his sensibility. His love for me remains strong, even on my worst days. He is a hands-on father and a superb role model for our boys. I am so blessed that my boys have him as a model for what kind of men, husbands, and servants to God that they might be someday. I'm thankful to Jeff for always being in my corner and on my team. No matter what the issue, we approach it like a team. He's always my biggest fan and ally.
What makes it so good, besides the fact that Jeff is so awesome? Secrets of our success? Here's a few:
1. It is more important to save the relationship than to win the fight.
2. Don't keep secrets from each other. Never a good idea.
3. Put your needs second, and your spouse's needs first. When you do, it's funny how in the end it turns around and seems like yours have been put first.
4. Be God-centered. It's not about you, it's not about me. It's about the fact that when we married we made a covenant with God, a binding agreement. There's something much bigger than us at work here. The Good Book has a lot of great advice on marriage. We try to follow it.
5. Be a team and cleave to each other. It's not your best friend's marriage. It's not your parents or in-laws' marriage. It's ours and we cleave to one another.
6. Laughter. Laugh with each other. A shared sense of humor is something I value a lot. Maybe too much. But as I said earlier, these are mine/our secrets of success.
7. It takes 2. One person can't make a marriage be successful. But, give 100%. Not 50/50.
8. Go to bed angry. Sometimes a good sleep puts things into perspective.
9. Even when you are mad, don't yell & scream and don't call names. Ever. You can't take that stuff back. It's just bad news.
10. There might be one bread winner in our family, but the money is ours.
Happy anniversary to us! You're a keeper, Jeff Baum. Now, let me go sit on the porch and wait on UPS. My anniversary present, a new composting barrel, should be delivered any time now. Jeff has never showered me with diamonds, gold, or trips to exotic places on our anniversary. But hey, a girl can't have everything, right?
2 comments:
Agree, agree, agree! And even though #8 may not square with "do not let the sun go down on your wrath," I have to say that there's usually a major change in my perspective between 11 p.m. and 8 a.m. Happy Anniversary, Dana & Jeff! May you grow many sweet memories in the years ahead with that composter. ;-)
Thanks for commenting, J9! <3
Post a Comment